10 tips to stay healthy at workplace
In uncertain times , with most working from home or with social distancing at workplace, it’s has become imperative we keep our employees safe and healthy.
Today’s fast-pace technology driven workplaces/ home offices demand a high level of efficiency and productivity from the employees. It’s easy to get lost in the rat race and lose sight of more important things in life. Working hard and accomplishing goals should not be accompanied with negative stress and unhappiness that might affect the Health and Well-being at a deeper level. Only if we feel healthy and well will we be able to deliver results to our maximum potential. Here are 10 tips to stay healthy while working.
- Stay home as much as possible. Avoid Social Contact : Make sure you work mostly from home and go to work only if it is absolutely necessary. Before initiating work from office i.e only if you have to, do check with your admin and HR department regarding all safely measures your company is taking. Ensure you follow social distancing rules, wear your mask, hand gloves and wash your hands as frequently as possible. Use sanitizers. Avoid touching your face. Conducting all meetings virtually.
- Start your day with a healthy breakfast; the importance of a healthy and nutritious breakfast can’t be emphasized enough. It is the most important meal of the day; it keeps us energetic and helps keep our metabolism to the point. Skipping a good breakfast can really ruin our whole day.
- Stay hydrated; keep drinking water at regular interval. Staying hydrated means all our internal organs are working smoothly. It helps reduce fatigue and tiredness and allows us to feel fresh the whole day.
- Stay on the move; have a workout routine for at least 5 days a week. Being in a good physical shape helps in the workplace a lot. Today’s fast-pace work culture demands that we stay in the best of our health to perform well at work.
- Take regular breaks; it’s not a good idea to keep working for long hours through the day. To stay motivated and become productive at workplace we must take regular intervals. We can go for a walk ( while taking all necessary precautions) have a tea/coffee break, or simply find a reason to chat with a colleague online for a few minutes.
- Maintain good posture; sitting all day long at the desk is not really good for our body posture. Lot of modern life-style health problems are the result of the bad posture in the office desk. Learn how to maintain good posture at the desk, such as keeping the computer screen at eye level, at the right distance etc. Make sure you work on a ergonomic chair that supports your back. Working on the bed or a sofa that does not adequately support your back would only lead to aches and pains.
- Learn to manage stress; managing stress is one of the most important skills in our modern work culture. Find time to do meditation, yoga, and exercise regularly. Spend time with family at home -most people are now secluding themselves from others by staying in their rooms for long periods- more often, eat healthy food and go to bed at the right time every night.
- Curb too much caffeine; too much of caffeine can create a havoc in our health and our efficiency in the workplace. Too much of caffeine have been found to be the reason for multiple health hazards such as, insomnia, headache, anxiety, nervousness, increased heart rate etc.
- Cut down on sugar; we often like to munch on a snack while at work, however it’s important to remember not to eat too much of sugary snacks like candies and diet soda. It may give a sudden boost of energy but also drains our energy quickly resulting into fatigue and tiredness, not to mention the long term health problems such as diabetes obesity.
- Take a power nap; working all day long without breaks is not a good thing for productivity and efficiency. Find time to take a quick nap of 15-20 minute in the middle of the day. It refreshes our mind and increases productivity.
Modern fast-pace sophisticated workplace has put a high demand on which often outpace human capabilities resulting into a high cost on the health and well-being of the employees. Coaching for Health and wellness can help in shifting focus from risk identification to risk reduction hence helping in increasing productivity. Intrinsic motivations to behavior changes driven by internal rewards can help to rectify derailing behaviors, manage professional aggression, resolve inner conflicts and cope up with rapidness of change.